Thursday, November 26, 2020

The ginkgo tree beside my bedroom window
is one of the last ones hanging on on the block. 
In summer it fills the room with green reflected light. 
Like an extension of the forest. 
Got a green duvet and green sheets 
to really pull up that blanket of leaves.

It’s a vibrant yellow now, 
bordering on a sort of bile color.
But when everything else is a wash of browns,
I’ll take any pop

I love the sound of rain pattering on it
But the absolute best sound 
is the crunching under car tires 
as people slowly maneuver out of tight city parking.

Every day is a new day for tiny observation.
For grounding by counting and breathing.
But when asked to be conscious of the practice 
I find myself annoyed at the hokey suggestion. 
Are my jade colored glasses
Preventing betterment? 

All of the work I don’t make 
and all the writing I don’t transcribe
Feels to me like a shiny wet rock, 
brought home from the river.
And discarded once dry,
no longer apparent that it’s beautiful.

2 comments:

grinning mouths said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
grinning mouths said...

Hello, Erin. It is good to see that you are still alive and kicking, in spite of all things.

Before you disappear into the ether for another five years, feel encouraged to drop me a line. I never got the chance to pay you back for that superb care package you sent me all those years ago, and it would be great to hear from you. You still cross my mind from time to time, and I mostly smile.

I hope this message finds you well, Erin. 2020 was a complete wash for a lot of people.

Sincerely,

Stephen (a.k.a. “Your Vandal”)
Phone: (310) 780-7550
E-mail: thelovesongwriter89@yahoo.com